Sewers'N'Caverns
This is looking really cool. Looking forward to the paint job.
Started n the Caverns.

Normal 3"x3" tiles as before.
[Image: 20160930_094348-jpg.8861]

Single corrugated card - cut into strips 1/2" in width.
[Image: 20160930_094355-jpg.8862]

Glued down haphazardly. There's only 3 designs of tile for this one (to same side, to opposite corner and field tile)
[Image: 20160930_125325-jpg.8863]

Added some sprue offcuts and grit/sand to a few places for extra texture.
[Image: 20160930_125339-jpg.8864]

The crystals will be done the same (but better this time) than my Dwarf Miner Diorama)
[Image: 20160930_125602-jpg.8865]

A small setup with the scatter bits I made right at the beginning.
[Image: 20160930_125643-jpg.8866]

These tiles were much easier and quicker to make than the others - I'll be making a fair few more too.

Any suggestions for extra bits of scatter terrain for my caverns? Mushroom, Crystals, Stalagmites...anything else?

C&Cs welcome and appreciated Smile
Ooooohhhhh! Those cardboard walls look AMAZING!!! What an elegant and simple solution to making natural shaped walls. Big Grin

One scatter-terrain suggestion I have would be a a small, raised pool of water. I've seen them in caves and they are quite lovely. Bonus points if they have several tiers. My Google-fu is failing me to find a picture of what I am talking about, but basically they have thin, rounded walls that radiate out from the highest pool in the center, with varying levels and incomplete circles.

Another suggestion would be patches of slime/moss/etc that you could place on the floor to make for difficult/dangerous terrain.

I also think your cave should have some holes/chasms in the floor - caves aren't the safest places to wander around in after all. And if one of those slime patches is next to a chasm... Smile

Also, an interesting idea might be a really tight squeeze area that your adventurers might get stuck in. Always seems every cave I've been in has one of these, called a "fat man's misery" or the like.
(09-30-2016, 09:28 AM)Ambience 327 Wrote: One scatter-terrain suggestion I have would be a a small, raised pool of water. I've seen them in caves and they are quite lovely. Bonus points if they have several tiers. My Google-fu is failing me to find a picture of what I am talking about, but basically they have thin, rounded walls that radiate out from the highest pool in the center, with varying levels and incomplete circles.

I think the Domica Cave in Slovakia has the kind of pools you're talking about.
(09-30-2016, 01:51 PM)extraevildave Wrote: I think the Domica Cave in Slovakia has the kind of pools you're talking about.

Yup.  Listed as the Caves of Aggtelek Karst and Slovak Karst on the UNESCO World Heritage site.

Domica Cave:
[Image: 640px-Domica_Cave_22.jpg]

That would be a cool pool to model!
Like this?(from Domica as EED suggested)
[Image: sl_domica6.jpg]

Rather than scatter, I might just add a few to the walls - but yes, great idea!

Website says they are called "Sinter Fills" possibly?
My suggestion for scatter terrain is boulders.

Raid a rock garden. Glue rocks to washers. Paint to match the walls. Use spare Boulder heaps to stick behind those walls to visually represent that the area behind the walls is solid with rock. Such scatter would be handily removable in case the adventuring party gets it grubby mitts on a Wand of Digging.

~~~~

New tile suggestion is:

... corner to opposite corner but with a natural opening to the next room (both sides of the diagonal are playable areas). In other words: a door.

(09-30-2016, 06:29 PM)djmothra Wrote: Like this?(from Domica as EED suggested)
[Image: sl_domica6.jpg]

Rather than scatter, I might just add a few to the walls - but yes, great idea!

Website says they are called "Sinter Fills" possibly?

Yep, that's what I was talking about. Always thought those kind of pools were quite lovely.
Great work so far - Friday nights paint night for me so let's see if I can catch up!
Started on some more Cavern tiles...cut 21 of them.

[Image: 20161003_125834-jpg.8898]

Added a few of the Sinter Fills (pools) as suggested to some of the new tiles.
[Image: 20161005_123532-jpg.8899]

Made with some of the same thickness of card with a small bead of hotglue around the edge to make a lip.
[Image: 20161005_123559-jpg.8900]

I've added crystals and sand to the new ones - here are the caverns so far...
[Image: 20161005_161918-jpg.8901]

A quick cavern - using some of the scatter terrain to block off and fill in gaps 'behind'
[Image: 20161005_162422-jpg.8902]

More to come of course.

C&Cs welcome as always Smile
[+] 1 user Likes djmothra's post