Poll: Decisions, decisions, you are all invited to weigh in.
Asteroids:: Space-Subject & Scale-Very Tiny
40.00%
2 40.00%
The Combo I'm Not Seeing (your suggestions)
20.00%
1 20.00%
CAV Outpost:: Combines: casting, plaster, futuristic, small scale.
0%
0 0%
Lizardman Terrain:: Just Jungle (nothing else new)
0%
0 0%
2mm Terrain:: Like Caleb used to build (I think I have some ships for it)
40.00%
2 40.00%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

A New Thing Under the Sun
Ableman's Moste Excellent List ...but pared down to the things I have not done.

Techniques/Tools
  • Casting
  • Moving Parts
  • Electricity/Lighting
  • Welding
  • Puppetry
  • Sewing
  • Cooking**(I've attempting cooking; but never for terrain)
  • 3-D Printing**(This is something I want to try.)
  • Pop-Up Book
  • Weaving
  • Moving images (projected displays, TV screens,...)
Materials
  • Wood**(I have worked with basswood and balsa but it was to build ships.)
  • Clay
  • Papier Mâché
  • Fabric**(Does covering a table with a cloth count as making terrain?)
  • Leather**(I have worked with leather, but not to build terrain.)
  • Food/Edible
  • Plaster
  • Resin/Water Effects
  • Gilding
  • Living Plants
  • Glass
  • Shadows 
Scale
  • Really Big
  • In a bottle
  • Specific Unfamiliar Scales: (I have always wanted to try that 1:900 stuff that Caleb has done.)
  • Something for CAV (1:180 if I remember right.)
  • Stuff for Warmaster (10mm ? whatever size that is.)
Subject Matter
  • Jungle
  • Futuristic
  • Dieselpunk
  • Cyberpunk
  • Modern/Urban
  • Post Apocalyptic
  • Industrial
  • Space**(I have always wanted to do an asteroid belt.)
  • Super Hero

Asteroids 
Newnesses = Subject: Space and Scale: Tiny

The Asteroids would be the easiest and least ambitious and I have materials for it already...someplace.

The scale...what would that be?

If I can remember where the raw material (lava rocks) is I will have a ton of rocks averaging 50mm x 30-40mm. So 50mm rocks. Considering the size distribution of asteroids those might represent 500 meter space rocks or 5 km space rocks. That makes either of those all metric: 50mm = 5km or 50mm = 500m. Anywhere from:

1:100,000

to

1:10,000

Are these going to be used in games at all? If so, take a look at FFG (Fantasy Flight Games) X-Wing (which is around 1/270) and X-Wing Armada (which looks to be around 1/800)

Depending on which scale you choose, it might be cool to have some kind of machinery on the asteroid? A mining operation? or defense weapons? or maybe a small dock/port!
(07-04-2016, 09:38 PM)djmothra Wrote: Are these going to be used in games at all? If so, take a look at FFG (Fantasy Flight Games) X-Wing (which is around 1/270) and X-Wing Armada (which looks to be around 1/800)

Depending on which scale you choose, it might be cool to have some kind of machinery on the asteroid? A mining operation? or defense weapons? or maybe a small dock/port!

The Space games I have had a chance to play in the last twenty years were BattleFleet Gothic and Star Fleet Battles. Once Cry each. I have rules for Traveller. I have micro-machines spaceships and some metal BFG ships (mostly Orks).

So, it is not at all certain what game they'll get used for.

If the space ship scale was 1:270 these would be 13 or 14 meter asteroids. If the space ship scale was 1:800 these would be 40 meter asteroids. The size distribution chart indicates there might be in excess of 25 million such objects in our asteroid belt. (100 meter objects was the bottom category.)

I think many space ship games use a different scale for ships and planets. The one BFG game I played in had 8-10 inch diameter planets and space ships that were 1-3 inches long. 

It would be a good bonus goal to do one or two as special asteroids with installations of some sort.

CAV Terrain
Newnesses = Casting, Plaster, 1:180 Scale, Urban/Futuristic/Industrial

This idea would hit the theme for me in a double Trifecta sort of way. More so than the other ideas, by far. 

The thread of inspiration is on Reaper's Forums in the CAV section. (CAV = Combat Assault Vehicle; Reaper's name for its mecha game vehicles.) Click here for the thread.

Buildings for big stompy robots like these:

[Image: mech.jpg][Image: img4e1d99549908b.jpg]

Lizardmen Jungle Terrain
Newnesses = Subject (Jungle); ***Materials (Tape, Craft Foam, Water Effects)

I have a large collection of Lizardmen models. I need to paint more of them. I have no terrain themed for them. It is hard to think of new elements from the other categories for this one. Scale needs to be 28mm or 1:60, somewhere in that range.

***While I was composing this I thought of three possible new materials to try out. And then I remembered I have used craft foam for something once.

2mm Terrain
Newnesses = Scale (1:900); ***Materials (Wood, Leather, Fabric, Water Effects)

I have three or four 1:900 model ship kits. That is pretty much my starting point.  ***I thought of some possible new materials to try out.

Found an inspiration picture:
[Image: medhrb.jpg]

The 2mm terrain for this maybe?

http://www.terragenesis.uk/showthread.php?tid=87
(07-06-2016, 09:42 AM)djmothra Wrote: The 2mm terrain for this maybe?

http://www.terragenesis.uk/showthread.php?tid=87
Yes.
That is the most recent thread of Caleb's that inspires this idea. There was a lengthy one on the old forum that was pretty great also. I think its gone now.

2mm ships eh? Where did you get those?

I say do 2mm scale stuff. It's rad.
(07-06-2016, 03:56 PM)Caleb Wrote: 2mm ships eh? Where did you get those?

I say do 2mm scale stuff. It's rad.

It is rad. It is so rad it turns up on Pinterest:
[Image: e00367794ce394fec1fa110bd3f7c722.jpg]
Rolleyes That was your Pinterest Page?

I got the ships from the hand of Jeff Hunt who owns and operates Portsmouth Miniatures. I would see him at a convention and I would buy a ship kit (honestly not sure how many I have). The ones I have are the retired "original castings" referred to in the link.  Apparently, they now have new masters made with 3D CAD on the ships for sale page. 

You need to cast a vote and make it a 3-way tie.