The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 192 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 7.2.20 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 192 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 716 postParser->parse_message
/showthread.php 1057 build_postbit
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 192 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 7.2.20 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Mediterranean Island Pirate Mega-Map ReaperCon 2012
Here are a couple of pics of stubbdog's board. Hopefully we will get to see his own collection of pics soon. The players had a great time with both boards and we both had lots of interested visitors scoping out our work.

I particularly liked how stubbdog used nicely smooth transitions between his elevations. It inspired me to do something similar with my next non-hex project.

[Image: 15976078356_1ac88db9b2_o.jpg]

[Image: 15976078336_6f8a02476d_o.jpg]

-----

I want to give a personal thanks to stubbdog and Shakandara for letting me be involved in this project. I had a blast and never would have had this opportunity if they had not reached out to me.

It was wonderful to meet in person so many people I have only known from the forums here at TG. They and all the other new friends I made were the best part of the con.  Smile

I also want to give a big thank you to Reaper for hosting this convention and letting me be a part of it. It was wonderful to get to meet so many people that were so enthusiastic about the craft and art behind the games we so enjoy playing. Reaper provides a great service to our community and I look forward to working with them more in the future.

The Reaper warehouse/workshop/store/studio/gaming hall has a gallery filled with beautiful works of miniaturists art, including a couple that meshed quite nicely with this year's pirate theme.

I could have spent hours in there checking out the wonderful details. Sadly, my own skills and eyesight lend themselves more to terrain than minis, so I will continue my own path of creating places for these artist/gamers to play.  Big Grin

[Image: 16001171122_fae35a5e43_o.jpg]

[Image: 15814597270_d124392158_o.jpg]

[Image: 15814597260_e2f9a8418f_o.jpg]

-----

One other nice thing about Reaper to note, at the end of the convention they let me and stubbdog know that they wanted to make an offer on our maps so that they could be used by all the folks who come to Reaper to play. I was ecstatic. Now I know my map is in the best place possible where it can be used by avid gamers all the time.   Big Grin

-----

I will start trying to sort through my MANY shots of the board in action to post a few more examples without overloading Andy's storage.  Smile
Quote:Luethar said:

Ableman33,

So I hoped you arrived home safe and sound. I wanted to tell you "Thank you" for taking the time to go over your terrain model with me. It is an impressive piece of work! My hat is tipped to you sir!

To all the others that posted here,

Ableman33 attended the con and provided the web address to this site so that we could see the making of this masterpiece. I just wanted to share with you all that though he posted pictures step by step. They do not do the project justice to the enormity and epic feel of the terrain model. I was lucky enough to see it first hand and I cannot believe the level of detail that was constructed. In fact, I did not know that the shipwrecked ship was foam based. I thought it was a model he had sliced in half! This was truly a masterpiece to have witnessed first hand!

I have included a link to my Facebook page where I have posted a virtual tour of the map using my iPhone so that you could appreciate the enormity of this well detailed project! I set it to public so you should be able to see it!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3322883245117

Click image for video.

Lue.

Quote:Elderac said:
Thanks for sharing and welcome to TG.

Quote:nealcrankshaw said:
All the compliments I could give have been given already. All I can say is that it has been a privilege following this thread. Thank you.
And finally, here are a bunch of action shots.

The map really led itself to lots of dramatic poses and battles. The bridges, arches, and cove especially seemed to attract cinematic battles. It was extremely difficult choosing these (not so) few pics from the literally hundreds of cool shots I took at the con.

[Image: 15379602134_91e9fdb1a8_o.jpg]

[Image: 15379602124_6cf2972e4c_o.jpg]

[Image: 15976078176_c481b9ffe7_o.jpg]

[Image: 15976078126_844a21c123_o.jpg]

[Image: 15382229403_fa0df807e5_o.jpg]

[Image: 15976078106_09855fec1e_o.jpg]

[Image: 15976078076_5970636cca_o.jpg]

[Image: 16001849565_2009ee6d3d_o.jpg]

[Image: 15816110897_aee2fc417f_o.jpg]

[Image: 15814597080_f682ee9b57_o.jpg]

[Image: 15379601904_afd62928cd_o.jpg]

[Image: 15814597060_9b016dbbda_o.jpg]

[Image: 16001170832_8c8eae84e5_o.jpg]

[Image: 15814597030_9b69993afd_o.jpg]

[Image: 15816110857_ccfc9e586f_o.jpg]

[Image: 15815855039_c8c76e6c04_o.jpg]

[Image: 16001849445_5a9a88eeed_o.jpg]

[Image: 15814470668_1d0204feca_o.jpg]

[Image: 16001170742_b7b211f8f5_o.jpg]

[Image: 15815855019_0aab6c5a55_o.jpg]

[Image: 15999887831_03b13e1602_o.jpg]

[Image: 16001849405_5b31de17ee_o.jpg]

-----

It was wonderful to see my work as a stage for all this action and fun game play. Seeing others enjoy themselves on my work is the greatest satisfaction I can derive from my efforts.

This was a huge undertaking, but the rewards far outweighed the effort involved. Time to rest a bit, and bring my workshop back into some sense of order before contemplating the next project.   Big Grin

Be well everyone, and thanks again for all you did to help me through this adventure.   Smile
XXX END XXX

That's the end of the original WIP thread for my Mediterranean Pirate Island Map.

Knowing what I know now, there are several things that I would have done differently:
  • Understanding better how Warlord is played, I would have made natural transitions in elevation and not used inch-high steps.
  • I would have changed the ramp leading down to the final docks.  As it was made, it was too steep/smooth and units kept sliding down it.  I should have made it less steep, or textured it with a brick pattern and flocking, or even added a discreet layer of caulk to hold pieces in place.
  • Instead of using clear caulk for the large areas of water, I should have covered them all in a glossy clear finish like varethane.  Not only would it have been much much faster, but it would have been easier to clean and wouldn't have been a dust magnet.
  • I should have created some separate pieces of scrap terrain to practice painting techniques on so that I didn't have to experiment with the entire project.  It would have saved lots of time, materials, and angst.
  • I should have made my bases differently in two ways.
  1. I should have made them 2'x4' rectangles instead of 2'x2' squares.  This would have halved the number of seams to worry about, halved the number of pieces to carry or worry about shifting, and would still have been easy enough to store and transport.
  2. I should have lined the bottoms of the boards with 1"x2" strips like all my other boards to stiffen them.  Plain sheets of 1/4" luan plywood just bent and peeled off when used by themselves.
  • I should have skipped lining the tops of the maps with painter's tape when applying my sawdust/glue/mud texture.  Not only was using the tape messier and less precise than when I did it without, but the using the tape formed ridges that had to be removed later with great effort.

All-in-all, I had a fantastic (if exhausting) time making this project.  The TG community was great, cheering me on and giving lots of helpful advice throughout.  Big Grin
This is a wonderful project. I love to see it in action with all those beautifully painted miniatures. What I thank you most is the sharing of your thoughts on the projects. It helps all others trying to recreate something similar.

If you happen to have more battle reports, feel free to post them here Smile
@ Alabastero -

I'm glad you found this WIP thread useful. Smile

I try to share the entire journey while creating a project, not just the positive highlights.  We learn more from our mistakes than our successes in many ways, at least I do, and I'm a teacher at heart.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to share any more after-action reports for these maps as they live with Reaper in Dallas and I live outside of Houston.  I do still have lots of other action shots taken during the original convention hidden away on my computer somewhere that I might try to dig up in the future.

I plan to transfer the WIP threads from my other projects to this new site so you can check those out too, though none are even as close to as grand as this one. Big Grin

I look forward to seeing your own projects.  Good luck and happy building to you. Smile
Nice to see you building again! And... I don't EVER think I've seen your garage as clean as it was in the first shot Tongue
Hello everyone,

I'm not sure how many folks are still active here.

I deeply enjoyed my time with the TG community, but realized that this was not the best place to permanently store my projects and work-in-progress threads.

So, I've taken the plunge and started my own website:  handcraftedterrain.com

I lost a lot of my old posts during the TG purges a while back, but I intend to repost all the material I have from my old projects.

That may take a while, though.

In the meantime, you can follow along as I work on my latest project.

Hope to see you all there!  Smile
[+] 2 users Like ableman33's post
I still pop in from time to time. I'll be heading over to your new site for sure!