Old Dutch Church
"The chief part of the stories, however, turned upon the favorite spectre of Sleepy Hollow, the Headless Horseman, who had been heard several times of late, patrolling the country; and, it was said, tethered his horse nightly among the graves in the churchyard."   - The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, Washington Irving

Though Halloween wasn't celebrated during the time of the American Revolution, I found something that'll fit with my American War of Independence miniatures.

The Old Dutch Church in Sleepy Hollow, New York, was founded around 1685 and is still in use today.  The churchyard and a nearby bridge were the settings for Washington Irving's famous "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow".  The Headless Horseman, the legend reads, may have been the ghost of a Hessian trooper whose head had been carried away by a cannon ball during a battle of the Revolution.  The body of "The Galloping Hessian" was said to be buried in the churchyard where he tethers his horse after his nightly searches for his missing head.

[Image: Old-Dutch-for-Web-history.jpg]

My main focus will be the church.  If there's time, I may add a bridge as well.

-Elroy
I've actually visited this church. I look forward to seeing it recreated.
OOoooo, awesome! That is a neat looking building, especially the roof line.
I got a good start last night.  When modeling real buildings, I usually use entrances and windows to get a sense of the building's size.  With this one, I found a photo online of, believe it or not, someone on horseback dressed as the headless horseman, right next to one of the church's windows.  Based on that photo, it looked like the window panes are about 10 inches square, making the windows roughly 3 1/2 feet wide and 7 1/2 feet tall. 

Originally I was going to build a single window, then use that as a master to make a mold then cast the other windows in resin.  As I started to do that, though, I decided that the trim between window panes would be too thick.  I decided to try something that I haven't tried before.

First I drew a window pattern on a sheet of paper.  Next I found some clear plastic from some packaging.  I used a sharp clay-sculpting tool to etch the window lines into the plastic.

[Image: 21238413261_826f42ef54_z.jpg]

Next I painted white acrylic over the etched lines, wiping off the excess with a sponge, leaving just the window trim.

[Image: 20609263693_787f295598_z.jpg]

Next I cut one of the side walls from foam-board and removed one of the window openings.  I sliced a slot through the foam above the opening, and slightly below the opening, then slide one of the windows in place for a test fit.  I'm pretty happy with how this worked.  The slot holds the plastic in place, so there's no need for glue, which means no frosting of the panes from the glue fumes!

[Image: 21043531859_8ec7d369cf_z.jpg]

-Elroy
[+] 2 users Like TaltosVT's post
Nice!
That is some impressively precise work. Nice.
That's an interesting way to do the window panes. It's really effective & crisp!
Liking it a lot! Very nice!