Tudor Row Houses
Are the interiors playable? There is a small flat roof that looks like it is divided into squares, are those regulation RPG map spaces?

(03-20-2015, 12:24 AM)pendrake Wrote: Are the interiors playable?  There is a small flat roof that looks like it is divided into squares, are those regulation RPG map spaces?

No, they aren't playable.  This is more of a diorama than it is a playable piece.  The small flat roof is very small.  The squarish parts are just the places where I was trying to make it look like lead sheets had been sealed together.  I doubt a figure would sit very well up there.  
I know it has been a while since I last posted about this project. I'm afraid I've been putting it off and haven't really felt much like building terrain. Lately though, I seem to have had a bit of a burst of energy and managed to come very close to finishing this. Unfortunately, providence had other ideas.

As you can see here I have finally gotten most of the work done:

[Image: disaster-1.jpg]

[Image: disaster-3.jpg]

[Image: Disaster-2.jpg]

All that was left to do was finish the decorative frame and pour the resin into the canal.

However, due to some poor decisions and inexperience on my part, the pouring of the resin ended up as a disaster, eating away at the foam, destroying the lower part of the canal wall, and leaving behind an uncured toxic mess.

[Image: Disaster-17.jpg]

It is such a disaster that I am going to have to try and figure out a way to peel off the masonite base, refinish it, and then try and figure out a way to repair the facade.

If you want a more detailed description of what happened you can go here: http://www.zaboobadidoo.com/tudor-row-houses-disaster-part-6/ I wrote this up today and didn't really feel like rewriting it here as well.

Needless to say, I am really heartbroken. This piece has been 3 years in the making and to lose it on the final step is frustrating. I'm not giving up, just frustrated. I will keep you up to date with any progress I make as I try to dig myself out of the hole that I have made.
[+] 1 user Likes Zaboobadidoo's post
Oh maaaaaaaaaaaan..... that was so brutal! x.....x
1. Beautiful ivy!

2. DON'T DO ANYTHING RASH!

This can be fixed! Do not panic, do not rush into any fixes before thinking them all out!

I am guessing you used a polyurethane. Exothermic nightmare! Get some Envirotex lite.

If you can rig up a hot wire cutter, you might be able to cut the base right off.

I'll think more on this and check out your blog.
[+] 1 user Likes Tob's post
So sorry to see this!

I have had similar disasters in the past - worse even.

It's gonna take work to salvage it, but only a small percentage of what you have already put in.

FIGHT ON!
(07-27-2015, 09:26 PM)Tob Wrote: 1.  Beautiful ivy!

2.  DON'T DO ANYTHING RASH!

This can be fixed!  Do not panic, do not rush into any fixes before thinking them all out!

I concur with Tob. Especially #2.

In fact just do what they would do in 1:1 scale.

If the edge of a canal had washed out or crumbled and undermined and fallen into a sinkhole or something...what would they do? (If it was real houses.)

They would not lift away a whole block of houses. They would shore up, they would dig out all the sludge, they would fill-in a sinkhole, they would replace the ruined masonry with new masonry...and so forth.

Worst case: the edge of your canal ends up looking like the burghers rebuilt it several times, until:

"... the fourth one stayed up."

[+] 2 users Like pendrake's post
(07-27-2015, 09:26 PM)Tob Wrote: 2.  DON'T DO ANYTHING RASH!

This can be fixed!  Do not panic, do not rush into any fixes before thinking them all out!

No worries about rashness. It's been almost a week since the disaster and I am pondering my options carefully.  As you pointed out on the blog, the best of all outcomes is that it cures on it's own, but as of 5 minutes ago, it was still tacky in most places, and still gel in others.  I'm thinking that if it was going to get better, I would have at least seen some progress.  Unfortunately, it still looks much the same as it did the day or two after the accident.  I think the bottom base is going to have to go.

Luckily, I don't think it will be a huge pain to take it off.  I've split it in places a couple of times during construction, so I am hoping that with the added weakness of missing half of the foam it was attached to, it will come off nicely.  As for the back-fill, I will definitely not be using any expanding foam.  The resin ate away one of the layers of pink foam holding it up, so I think I will just replace that, with maybe a shim or two to make it fit right.  I'm not sure how much it needs, it, but I want to make sure it is strong.

Both you (on the blog) and Pendrake have good suggestions as for the part you can see, the wall.  I'm not completely sold on simply putting in a new section of foam as if they had repaired it themselves.  The main reason I am reluctant is that oddly enough, the resin seems to have left a remarkably straight line across the face of the wall, even so far as it looks like some of the stone were "cut in half." I doubt that crumbling masonry would have left such a neat line.  Repairing it would mean trying to disguise the straight line in some way.

I do like the idea of using some pebbles and placing them to look like large natural stones that the wall was built up on.  It would change the tone of the piece from a city canal look to a seashore look, but that might be an OK switch.  I am leaning towards that at the moment, using some foam/DAS to try and sculpt the boundary between the large rocks and the mason wall. I might even make it look a bit more like a beach, though I still love the idea of water.

Regardless, if I do use water, I will be using Envirotex-Lite.  Does anyone know, does it cure hard?  One of my issues with the Woodland Scenics water effects (what I am most experienced with) is that it never quite cures completely, and any dust or objects that sit on it too long can become part of the surface.  That is the main reason I was going with the resin in the first place, it would be good looking and easy to clean.
Every model maker's heart sank collectively with you!
I haven't used Envirotex myself, but a buddy of mine has. It cures hard. He does only put thin layers on his playing boards though. It may be worth testing a deep pour before doing it on your piece, or just plan on doing it in multiple pours.
What about a small dock or walkway running along the inside of the canal? Mightfover things up and fit thematic at.
[+] 2 users Like Caleb's post