The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 192 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 7.2.22 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 192 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 716 postParser->parse_message
/showthread.php 1057 build_postbit
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 192 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 7.2.22 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Tudor Row Houses
For the last 13 months, I have been furiously working on an accelerated Masters Degree in education (I'm an elementary school teacher by trade).  It was an incredibly intense experience, but now that I am done, I am trying to unearth my workbench and anything that got left there when I started school.  

Here is what I found:

[Image: IMG_5834.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5836.jpg]

This guy was actually started almost 3 years ago for one of the old TG competitions, but was never finished.  I also promised it to my dad for Christmas two years ago.  I think it might be time to finish it...

I'll post more once I get my feet under me and make a little more progress.
[+] 5 users Like Zaboobadidoo's post
Zab,

this looks petty great. What did you have left to do? IDRC = I don't recall clearly.

Not much really. This was an older picture, so there is a bit more progress than there is in these photos. I need to put some flashing around the chimneys and roof lines, the signage is done and attached (I'll post some pics when I get them off of my phone), and I am working on some ivy climbing up one side of the far building (that may take a while). I also need to add some odd clumps of grass and other vegetation, and maybe some other details as they come to me (I'm debating whether or not to add some posters and/or notices pasted to some of the walls). Then, of course, comes the big final push: pouring the water in the canal, and making a nice bordering frame around the base.

Really, the big stuff is done, I just need to spend some time focusing on the details. I'm looking forward to getting this one off of my shoulders, it has been waaaaaaaaaaay too long...
[+] 1 user Likes Zaboobadidoo's post
Good to see you back, Zab!  I too look forward to seeing your progress on this one.
[+] 1 user Likes Munin's post
YAY! Add me to the list of people happy to see this one again. This may be my favorite Zab piece.
[+] 1 user Likes Tob's post
Utterly amazing, more photos! Smile
Thanks for the nice compliments, guys.  Its good to be back, for sure.  

Here are some pictures that I took of how I made the signs:

I wanted to make them look like wrought iron.  I made them of plastic rod and plastic strips which I melted under my heat gun until they softened and practically drip.  Then I bent them into different swirling patters.  This turned out to be much more difficult than I thought it would be as it was very hard to get things to lay flat and bend in the right way.  

But after some practice I was able to come up with some pieces that I could weld together into some nice looking signs.  

[Image: WP_20140330_004-e1426628996349.jpg]

[Image: WP_20140330_007-e1426628908398.jpg]

For the signs themselves, I used a piece of balsa for the first one.  For the other two I used charm bracelet charms for the signs: a key and a cup. 

[Image: WP_20140330_002.jpg]

[Image: WP_20140331_003.jpg]

After everything was assembled it was time to paint everything black, add some brown to look like rust, and painted the sign blue.  Then a free hand sun painted on the sign and it was a time to attach them to the walls.

[Image: WP_20140403_003.jpg]

[Image: 346.651C.jpg]
[+] 7 users Like Zaboobadidoo's post
WoooT! Welcome back Zab.
How could you have ever lost sight of this one... it's huge! Wink
Can't wait to watch the details come to life.
[+] 1 user Likes MellyMonkey's post
It's probably too late for you now, but I have found that rosin-core solder works great for the kind of wrought-iron bar effect for which you were striving. It cuts easily with a hobby knife, is much easier to work with than wire of a similar gauge, and doesn't require heat to shape.
[+] 2 users Like Munin's post
Quote:It's probably too late for you now, but I have found that rosin-core solder works great for the kind of wrought-iron bar effect for which you were striving. It cuts easily with a hobby knife, is much easier to work with than wire of a similar gauge, and doesn't require heat to shape.

Wink You are right, it is too late.  However, that is a fantastic idea for next time!  I'm super happy with how they came out, but I I will totally look into that for the next set of signs that I do.  I've enjoyed this project enough to consider making more buildings like these.  I'm trying to figure out how feasible it would be to make a modular city.  For that matter, I've been trying to figure out what I might use a modular city for... but that is a horse of a different color.  

For now, I will store that excellent idea for the next time this comes up!

Quote:How could you have ever lost sight of this one... it's huge! Wink

Big Grin "lost" maybe isn't quite the right word, more like neglected.  Regardless, it is nice to have it (and all of you) back.
[+] 1 user Likes Zaboobadidoo's post