Liberty Tree
(03-25-2015, 07:58 PM)Tob Wrote:
(03-25-2015, 05:50 PM)TaltosVT Wrote: The textured paint was straight from the can.

I'll look for it next time I'm in the spray pain aisle.  I think I want some.

As for why it didn't eat the paint, I'd guess that maybe it's water-based paint.  I would presume then the paint colors are different densities or solutions that don't like to mix well with the solvent (water), hence the spatter effect and the separation of colors.
Might be fun to do a whole board in various colors of this type of paint.  Fast.

Taltos - was it Rustoleum® brand? ("Textured Stone" I think they call it.)

[Image: DSCN0858.jpg]

@Tob: yep, available in colors. Nope, does not melt foam. Posted about it on the old forum.

[+] 1 user Likes pendrake's post
(03-26-2015, 05:20 AM)pendrake Wrote: Posted about it on the old forum.

I remember and was wondering if it was the same stuff. It seems to have a lot of potential but I've never gotten around to playing with it.
[+] 1 user Likes Tob's post
This week snuck up on me.  I just realized that the competition end is a few days away.

Wire armature made from twisted floral wire, glued to the base:

[Image: 16920959247_6f1c83688a_z.jpg]

Once the armature was finished, I started covering it with oven-bake clay:

[Image: 16940805600_da7c126192_z.jpg]

Once the rough sculpting is done, I'll add some detail, then add moss or clump foliage for the leaves.

[+] 1 user Likes TaltosVT's post
Looking good. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Smile
So, I *finally* got Internet access back after being down for three days.  The good news is that I finished my entry on time.  Unfortunately I missed the deadline since I couldn't upload anything.

I still wanted to show the completed build though.  Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

The armature wire was covered in oven-bake clay.  I used a hair dryer to bake it so that I wouldn't melt the foam insulation base.
[Image: 16622831774_ee47c70043_n.jpg]

Once dry, I painted the trunk with mixes of black, brown, light brown and grey.

Ground cover was made from some sheet-moss that I bought from the local craft store, chopped up into tiny bits.
[Image: 17037878517_269662e13d_n.jpg]

Ground cover applied.
[Image: 17037874517_cf5f191ec8_n.jpg]

And the finished product with dark green clump foliage applied to the limbs, and some hand-bill and flag details added to the base.  Artillery piece is shown for scale.

[Image: 17245318175_f5190a9672_n.jpg]

[Image: 17057570968_b716f5323a_n.jpg]

[Image: 17057783210_a5c31456d0_n.jpg]

[Image: 17243592302_15dcc142de_n.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes TaltosVT's post

Forum Jump: