The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 192 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 7.2.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 192 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 716 postParser->parse_message
/showthread.php 1057 build_postbit
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 192 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 7.2.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Games. What are you playing?
So... For the most part. At the heart of what we do - is gaming. There are some exceptions obviously (i'm looking at you Blue), but for the most part - we build for gaming.

So I just wondered.

What is everyone playing?
(02-03-2018, 06:57 PM)SethDrallitoc Wrote: What is everyone playing?

Over the holidays I played a lot of hex and paper games including the classic Ogre.

Other than that my main miniatures focus has been homebrew AWI. I've been meaning to get back to some WWII gaming but just haven't found the time.
(02-03-2018, 06:57 PM)SethDrallitoc Wrote: What is everyone playing?

The short list: Pathfinder, Frostgrave, Zombicide, Dropzone Commander, and Heavy Gear.

As you can imagine, I build a lot of terrain and paint a fair amount of minis, but I've never been much on posting my stuff online.

Though as sparse as posts are getting here, I'm going to have to start. ?LOL
In the most recent move, I finally sold off all of my Warhammer 40K stuff, so now I'm focused on Infinity and historical wargaming (Chain of Command for WW2 and Sharp Practice 2 for ACW). Infinity is a fantastic game for terrain-builders because it relies on very terrain-dense boards.

Tob, what's your WW2 game of choice?
(02-06-2018, 02:13 PM)Munin Wrote: Tob, what's your WW2 game of choice?

Usually homebrew, but sometimes Flames Of War at 1/275 scale.
Oooh, so teeny-tiny, then! Are you doing company or battalion level engagements at that scale?
(02-07-2018, 11:41 AM)Munin Wrote: Oooh, so teeny-tiny, then! Are you doing company or battalion level engagements at that scale?

Usually company or lower. Sometimes I like to do tank battles with a couple platoons per side.

The reason I use that small of a scale is so that it looks better ground scale-wise. I've always felt FoW looks weird when played in its native scale. Example: A typical tank only has a range of 6 times its length! Although playing at a smaller scale doesn't completely fix the problem, at least the ground scale difference isn't so painfully obvious.
(02-07-2018, 03:06 PM)Tob Wrote:
(02-07-2018, 11:41 AM)Munin Wrote: Oooh, so teeny-tiny, then! Are you doing company or battalion level engagements at that scale?

Usually company or lower.  Sometimes I like to do tank battles with a couple platoons per side.

The reason I use that small of a scale is so that it looks better ground scale-wise.  I've always felt FoW looks weird when played in its native scale.  Example:  A typical tank only has a range of 6 times its length!  Although playing at a smaller scale doesn't completely fix the problem, at least the ground scale difference isn't so painfully obvious.

If you haven't already, you might want to look into Chain of Command by TooFatLardies (https://toofatlardies.co.uk). It is platoon scale, but the "Big Chain of Command" supplement (free) lets you go up to about company level. One of the cool things about this game is that it doesn't have "ranges" for most weapons - if you can see it, you can shoot it. Weapons are generally more effective at close range, but you can usually shoot at anything on the table provided you have line of sight. And at 15mm, the ground scale and figure scale are identical. I've heard of people playing it at 6mm simply by converting all of the movement and "close range" distances from inches to centimeters and having it work perfectly there too.

Chain of Command also has an absolutely magical unit activation mechanic, which gives players a variable pool of activation types (teams, squads, leaders, etc) that changes from phase to phase. There will be times where you really want to activate a unit caught out in the open to rush them to cover but can't - the men in that unit are dithering, panicking, confused, or maybe just stopped and trying to help Jenkins get his foot out of a particularly deep mudhole in the field. Meanwhile, your opponent is licking his chops and imagining the delicious LMG fire he's about to pour onto you (provided he has the resources to activate his LMG, that is). But the phase order isn't constant either, so you're not necessarily guaranteed the ability to go next after your opponent's phase. It's a really novel mechanic and adds a huge amount of tactical nuance to the game.

TFL also makes a company+ scale game called "I Ain't Been Shot, Mum!" It uses a different (card-based) activation scheme, but it also preserves the idea that not all of your units will necessarily activate every turn, and not in a predictable order.
(02-08-2018, 12:45 PM)Munin Wrote: If you haven't already, you might want to look into Chain of Command by TooFatLardies

I am vaguely familiar with the TFL rulesets. I am pretty sure I have something of theirs amongst the piles of rules I have, but it might take some effort to find it. But you have piqued my curiosity enough that I think I'll take some time to peruse their website. I do get tired of specific rulesets from time to time if only because some little detail strikes me as being inaccurate and that ends up eating away at my brain. I tend to change rules when I need something to fit a specific scenario or model an instance unrecognized by other rules. Maybe it's just time to mix it up!

(tob clicks TFL link)
Every rule system has its own particular foibles - I think the mortar barrage rules in Chain of Command need a re-work. Snipers could be either a little bit cheaper or a little bit more effective, but realistically speaking they're probably about right in terms of historical accuracy versus mythic hype, so they're probably fine. But that's about it, from my perspective. Everything else seems to work really well, and like I said, the activation mechanic is awesome.