The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 192 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 7.2.24 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 192 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 716 postParser->parse_message
/showthread.php 1057 build_postbit
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 192 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 7.2.24 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

THE WRECK OF H.E.S INVICTUS (HIS EMPERORS SHIP)
[Image: jYL5nNN.jpg]
THE WRECK OF H.E.S INVICTUS

This was a display board commission given to me due for a June delivery and we had about 2-3 weeks to get it going. I was really pumped at the idea of building a broken space hulk and although the hex design of the base-board was really cool, it presented of course a few challenges too.

I may have to upload some later, but I have a little sketch book filled with ideas for tables, at the moment I probably have a lifetime work of boards in there ready to go with no time to actually make them all. I'm actually going to take this year off full time commissions and concentrate on projects for me (that I will later turn around for some light profit).

[Image: m1gst2J.jpg]

A quick little sketch for myself and the customer to explore some of the ideas present I wanted to show with this build.

I wanted to have a cannon from the instant I was approached and had the tools and vision to automatically figure it out.

I wanted the ship to appear as though it had been there quite a while, the sunken appearance gauged by the angle at which it declines into the board and also the amount of sand that has worked its way into the exposed areas of the ship.

I will slowly start to add to this thread with WIP photos in the reverse to normal way.
[Image: smfMepr.jpg]
The first pictures of WIP stage.

Since its a tall project I wanted to make sure I got these walls as close as I could to correct as it would show any warping very easily.

[Image: uqeyTze.jpg]
I wanted the top of the board to have a height instead of being capped to allow light into those top levels and allow more models to be placed. I also believe it looks good to have a nice clean cut edge on a piece like this.

[Image: LLlneKj.jpg]
I was spending a fair bit on marking out and trying to get the right angles for these pieces, having to work out the angle of each piece relevant not just to itself but the pieces before it and the levels also.

It was a pretty frustrating effort to hold all this together and then try and fix in platforms the right size to fit snug without pushing the walls out...
[+] 3 users Like omgitsduane's post
[Image: UJe2OEU.jpg]
Starting to add in platforms to make the levels of the ship itself and found the easiest way being to fine an angle we are happy with and put blocks of foamcore below it at the same height so the platform will sit nicely on top then we just layer details over the top to cover any unsightly bad cuts.

[Image: PU3n0hL.jpg]
We started at this stage putting a lot more detail on to everything, figure its easier to do it while it hasn't got formed walls and levels and I was right. Some of the layer details were a right pain because it was so hard to reach everything.

The cannon is starting to come along too. The gun carriage worked perfectly and has a small level of rotation both horizontally and vertically.

Straws and MDF cut-offs used with big success to create detail where they was none.

[Image: eUSgBbe.jpg]
[Image: ujnlrdS.jpg]

A couple of extra shots.

I wanted the inside to look busy but not so much that the customer couldn't get away with placing models in there. Being that they wanted to fit a large army on here of mainly infantry models they needed a big footprint.
[+] 3 users Like omgitsduane's post
[Image: vkWFv3z.jpg]

So here we have a some more of the construction process. Adding details internally, adding the blue paste for sand/dirt texturing and also to help hide and seal in those exposed foam edges. This stuff has been a legendary piece of my arsenal for 2 years now and I don't know what I'd do without it!

[Image: HPORgRW.jpg]

Here we have a wider shot of everything going on the gun compartment is mostly done but the crane is still needing construction at this stage I believe.

The customer wanted to initially have some dunes in the sand but we did end up scrapping that as they were more comfortable with rubble and wrecked pieces of ship instead to help tie into their armies basing.

[Image: 3hEkLl1.jpg]

A nice simple internal shot. Straws, MDF offcuts, cardboard cuts. Anything I can think of to detail the internals was used. Super happy with how these random elements all came together.
[+] 4 users Like omgitsduane's post