WS Shaper Sheet clone crater
In the interest of possibly keeping this place alive, or bringing it back to life I thought I might contribute some new content.

Some time ago I heard about Woodland Scenics shaper sheets. It is basically some type of cloth like material with a foil backing to help hold its shape. I decided to make my own at a fraction of the price. I have used my shaper sheet clone before with great success.However this time I tried some new things that didn't work out so well.

Here you see my shaper sheet clone. It was made with dollar store materials. Basically it is two sheets of foil glued to a paper towel using 3M 77 spray glue. I found a paper towel that didn't have any pattern in it. This is a piece I have had for a while and have experimented with so it is wrinkled up.
[Image: 23708254558_77451883ef_k.jpg]

I used a very small pie tin that used to have a quite tasty little pie in it. It came from Walmart but I'm sure other places sell them.
[Image: 37528790922_635f9c6358_k.jpg]

The process begins by pushing the sheet into the top of the tin so that the opening of the crater is formed. 
[Image: 36850114684_5143a55a92_k.jpg]

Once the opening is established hold the sheet to help it keep shape as you work the sides down.
[Image: 23708254528_7ea05fdaa5_k.jpg]

This is where I strayed from my normal process creating a domino effect of failure. In the past when working with my shaper sheets I used a 50/50 white glue water mix to sort of plaster everything in place. When the glue mixture dried the sheet was strong and took paint well. However I couldn't find my white glue and had an idea. I tried using a matte finish clear coat thinking that might work like the glue. It didn't.
[Image: 37301936250_eff690acc6_k.jpg]

Because the clear coat didn't dry like the glue all attempts at painting failed. I dtsrted with a tan primer, painted everything brown, and did a black wash. Everything absorbed into the paper towel. It looked OK but not what I wanted.
[Image: 36850113074_f787f34c6c_k.jpg]

OK now what? Another "ingenious idea". Plasti dip would prevent the paper towel from absorbing everything.
[Image: 37528791362_455eb3b260_k.jpg]

It worked well enough to finish and put this nightmare to rest. After the plasti dip dried I did a coat of grey primer and painted a base coat of brown.
[Image: 36891532403_9b846a71ba_k.jpg]

Now for my next failure (not really pictured). I have seen a few references to using acrylic ink to do washes. Although I couldn't really find any details about how the ink was used I bought a bottle of black acrylic ink (for writing calligraphy with a quill). I decided to try it on this project. I found two issues right away. first the ink most likely needs to be diluted. Second it dried glossy.It basically turned almost everything a black shiny color. My immediate thought was to just dry brush the thing and get it over with. Then I glued it to a foam core base
[Image: 37513474116_1e6c1d4d72_k.jpg]

Here are a few completion (as complete as this mess is getting). I included a couple of my U.S. Marine inspired 40K Space Marines. One in camo and the other in dress blues.
[Image: 37513474076_a6c34e6219_z.jpg]

[Image: 36851199224_b70e68cc8b_z.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like locomoticopter's post
(10-08-2017, 10:07 AM)locomoticopter Wrote: In the interest of possibly keeping this place alive, or bringing it back to life I thought I might contribute some new content.
Hurray new content!!

Yes, The structural qualities of white glue+paint should not be forgotten. I had never heard of this woodland scenics product that you were emulating.

I have questions:
Did the pie tin remain inside the crater?
Is the crater rim largely hollow (pie tin or not) inside?
Have you ever tried something else as the top layer (instead of the paper towel) ?

(10-08-2017, 11:32 AM)pendrake Wrote:
(10-08-2017, 10:07 AM)locomoticopter Wrote: In the interest of possibly keeping this place alive, or bringing it back to life I thought I might contribute some new content.
Hurray new content!!

Yes, The structural qualities of white glue+paint should not be forgotten. I had never heard of this woodland scenics product that you were emulating.

I have questions:
Did the pie tin remain inside the crater?
Is the crater rim largely hollow (pie tin or not) inside?
Have you ever tried something else as the top layer (instead of the paper towel) ?

To answer your first two questions together. I removed the pie tin. Unfortunately since I didn't use the white glue the structure of the rim is not as solid as the results I usually get. When I have used this technique in the past with the glue it resulted in a very rigid piece, making the pie tin unnecessary. In this case without the pie tin the hollow rim could be smashed.

As for the third questioni have not tried anything other than paper towels for the top layer. I'm not quite sure what else could be used but am open to suggestions. I chose paper towels because it seemed to be similar to the original shaper sheets from woodland scenics.
[+] 1 user Likes locomoticopter's post
I was wondering if the brown paper from an ordinary grocery sack would work.

(10-09-2017, 05:31 AM)pendrake Wrote: I was wondering if the brown paper from an ordinary grocery sack would work.

Very interesting thought. I may have to try that.
Oooh, when I saw you post this on the MWG forum, I was hoping you'd have more discussion of it here as well!

In terms of the shininess of inks, that's pretty common. Most of the binders used for that sort of stuff are essentially gloss acrylic medium. It's super easy to just hit it with a quick spray of Testors Dull-Cote (or equivalent matte spray) once your ink is dry and it'll look great. I often use MinWax (in place of Army Painter Strong Tone) on minis, which is gloss enamel and dries super-shiny. A quick spritz of Dull-Cote makes it look really good, so I get the flow/seep effect of an oil-based gloss without the shine.
I need to start using more scale model based stuff like paint and dull coat. The general hobby stuff works ok for a quick cheap job. However I would probably get better results and I'm thinking it may even be easier to work with scale model stuff. In the past for washes I have just used thinned out cheap acrylic craft paint. Then I bought a set of citadel shade which works as a wash and it much nicer to work with and more consistent than thinned paint
That is dangerously simple. I love it.
(12-27-2017, 05:51 PM)omgitsduane Wrote: That is dangerously simple. I love it.

Thank you. Simple cheap small builds are at times very satisfying.
For some reason - this is the first time I am seeing this thread.

Perhaps I glanced at it - saw space marines and looked elsewhere.

It's an excellent effect. I had a very large sheet of an interesting material many moons ago. It was some sort of thick aluminium foil sandwiched between two sheets of heavy canvas - which was dyed with a grey/brown mottled effect. It had previously been used as a faux rock-face for a window display. I wish that I knew what it was really called and where I could purchase some - because I could think of 1001 uses for the stuff.