The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 192 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 7.2.23 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 192 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 716 postParser->parse_message
/showthread.php 1057 build_postbit
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 192 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 7.2.23 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Civilian base (Imperium) for Wh40K
In addition to my other terrain projects (T'au outpost and Jungle terrain), I started another project: an imperial base of Warhammer 40k.
Quick self-imposed requirements:
* Small terrain pieces or at least nest-able to save storage space
* Modular
* Mostly not ruined and civilian

A few moth ago, I made a simple mechanicum building. I think forgot to take WIP pictures, but here is the final result:
[Image: FhuQqamspNdFbjYl_7RZ4iE64MVDVrVNCVqsrUeX...00-h558-no]
[Image: 8ugPRXAklmpiGkJqzCcTom6QpzwP_xoNpmQihyUX...00-h660-no]
As you can see, I used the classic soda can for the fuel tank (albeit a tiny one). I went for Bugbait_nz's radar dish technique but the device is removable.  

The next one is also very classic. I used the regular tin can to make a silo.
[Image: 9zkvkka2oaSxRRKrZ7hSOhXkjEdIouK0ij5nusvZ...50-h743-no]

Next up is another piece of re-purposed garbage but a lot less common (I guess).
I turned a couple of used ink-jet cartridges thermo generator or something. I tried to mirror the design so they can sort of fit together.
[Image: n4dSUvMHSgEym0pWxWWo61Db6WVMz3gMvN_9SHRk...00-h428-no]
[Image: daOwP1sJkmSMyQheACF55btXDI2YTqN1KhvTNXtm...00-h595-no]

My current piece is a small building. I used a cotton bud box as a base so the windows will stay clear (if I do not mess the painting).
[Image: newyfmArEFK6tDLeSMAKQCb7udSj-5DU7ZRNQV7A...00-h529-no]
[Image: xk5P_fvL9CUe7wBuVqYjjj9qUSHMAIuzXWsa7rf8...00-h564-no]
As a bonus, the roof has some shallow holes to receive the bits at the bottom of the cartridges to keep them in place if I want them on the roof.
[Image: eCNAEhQ-rLxTm2LWWcmhsdEG3Fc_lpSBPpw8G7TQ...84-h743-no]
I guess I still have to make a frame to put around the windows before I can start painting this one.
[+] 1 user Likes Mangouste's post
Great job on the use of regular materials - you have a great eye for detail.
I like it. I want to make more stuff like this but I can't really seem to find a game with simple enoigh rules that interests me.
(05-30-2017, 09:17 AM)locomoticopter Wrote: I like it. I want to make more stuff like this but I can't really seem to find a game with simple enoigh rules that interests me.
You're right, I don't have anything simple that comes to my mind... maybe good googling could give some results.

The painting of the building is on the way.
In the mean time, I started a set of catwalks to climb on top of it.

[Image: pZLo5wLN7jo1agoq1haJQDuYx3dIeLzENT921jeY...00-h900-no]
Basically, those are clones of the one I made for my T'au outpost, but with a more "imperial classic" taste.
(05-31-2017, 03:50 PM)Mangouste Wrote:
(05-30-2017, 09:17 AM)locomoticopter Wrote: I like it. I want to make more stuff like this but I can't really seem to find a game with simple enoigh rules that interests me.
You're right, I don't have anything simple that comes to my mind... maybe good googling could give some results.

The painting of the building is on the way.
In the mean time, I started a set of catwalks to climb on top of it.

[Image: pZLo5wLN7jo1agoq1haJQDuYx3dIeLzENT921jeY...00-h900-no]
Basically, those are clones of the one I made for my T'au outpost, but with a more "imperial classic" taste.

This looks great.  What are the catwalks made out of?
I like how how you are laying everything out in pencil. It almost has a 3d blueprint feel.
(05-31-2017, 08:20 PM)locomoticopter Wrote: I like how how you are laying everything out in pencil. It almost has a 3d blueprint feel.
Some lines are for preview, others are guidelines for cutting. Sometimes I change my mind in the process though.
I guess that's how it works.

(05-31-2017, 07:54 PM)Squash Wrote: This looks great.  What are the catwalks made out of?

I guess you are talking about the mesh texture. Those are plastic straps found around mail parcels such as Amazon's delivery (is this description clear enough? Undecided ).
It's only 9mm wide so I have to find clever ways to use it. For the top of first building I had to cut 1mm wide stripes of cereal box to cover the seams (not my favourite step Wink ).
It is very flexible though so I glued them on a more rigid layer made of 2mm PVC board (bought them at DIY shop as framing background).

I hope it helped.
(06-01-2017, 02:52 PM)Mangouste Wrote:
(05-31-2017, 07:54 PM)Squash Wrote: This looks great.  What are the catwalks made out of?

I guess you are talking about the mesh texture. Those are plastic straps found around mail parcels such as Amazon's delivery (is this description clear enough? Undecided ).
It's only 9mm wide so I have to find clever ways to use it. For the top of first building I had to cut 1mm wide stripes of cereal box to cover the seams (not my favourite step Wink ).
It is very flexible though so I glued them on a more rigid layer made of 2mm PVC board (bought them at DIY shop as framing background).

I hope it helped.

Fantastic idea.  I am totally stealing it!
(06-01-2017, 09:04 PM)Squash Wrote: Fantastic idea.  I am totally stealing it!
Please do so!

Here is the final result by the way:
[Image: ylKVS5zIwVa0lIl2FabyaWaTJNNnsBcykEFI-fHN...57-h414-no]
Really nice work so far. Have you experimented with washes and sponge weathering?