Abandoned Asylum
I want to continue the type of building I did in the last competition so I'm planning on building an abandoned Art Deco asylum in low relief, 'cause (as modern pop culture shows us) there isn't anything that's creepier than that.
[+] 2 users Like extraevildave's post
I like where this is going.
[+] 1 user Likes Munin's post
I totally agree. I look forward to seeing it!
The inspiration for this competition build is the Shadybrook Asylum from the Psychoscareapy attraction at Universal Orlando’s “Halloween Horror Nights”, quite appropriate for this competition I’d say.  I plan to follow the design of the basic structure as it is actually very close to what I had in mind when I first decided to enter this competition but there will be a number of structural and aesthetic changes.

[Image: 21696193925_cd35e53a48_z.jpg]
Shadybrook Asylum - Universal Orlando’s “Halloween Horror Nights”

A bit of searching also lead me to a site with a VERY nice papercraft PDF for this and a number of other buildings from the “Halloween Horror Nights”, a bit of resizing, cutting and gluing and you’ve got a selection of creepy buildings ready to go.

www.haunteddimensions.raykeim.com

Now on with the build.  I started by cutting the main structural parts from 5mm foamboard.

[Image: 21696207335_dab30b0d54_z.jpg]

Then glued the facade together (well most of it),

[Image: 21075233733_798dd37310_z.jpg]

and built the  vestibule.

[Image: 21508303400_bdc279a193_z.jpg]

Next Episode: Art Deco embellishments
[+] 2 users Like extraevildave's post
can't wait to see this one develop. 

if you are looking for real world inspiration, follow this link:  http://weirdnj.com/stories/greystone-park-psychiatric-hospital/   

Stumbled across this place about a year ago.  One of my kids was playing in a soccer tournament down the road from Greystone.  Night game, late October, just beyond the glow of the lights was a darkened structure.  After the game we drove past and found it to be even creepier than it looks at weirdnj.com.  
[+] 1 user Likes coxrltw's post
Oh, very nice! Though I saw your inspiration picture and freaked for a sec. I was like OMG IT IS DONE ALREADY!?

I love the colors in your inspiration. Do you think you'll go for some of that rusty, run down look in yours?
(09-25-2015, 09:35 AM)coxrltw Wrote: if you are looking for real world inspiration, follow this link:  http://weirdnj.com/stories/greystone-park-psychiatric-hospital/   

Stumbled across this place about a year ago.  One of my kids was playing in a soccer tournament down the road from Greystone.  Night game, late October, just beyond the glow of the lights was a darkened structure.  After the game we drove past and found it to be even creepier than it looks at weirdnj.com.  

That was cool.
(09-25-2015, 03:21 PM)BlueMeander Wrote: I love the colors in your inspiration. Do you think you'll go for some of that rusty, run down look in yours?
That's the plan
The upper middle window has received some Art Deco work.  The decorative buttress was created and printed out to ensure the sizes matched, they were then glued to 1mm card and cut out.  

[Image: 21862140216_b95d92c2c1_z.jpg]

The same was done with the parts for the windows crowning embellishment.

[Image: 21876389372_4537bc0eab_z.jpg]

The layers were then glued in place.

[Image: 21701482679_3b64fa25d0_z.jpg]

The completed Art Deco parts were then glued onto the body of the window section.

[Image: 21862182526_2e53d67ef5_z.jpg]

The main entry will have a double door with more Art Deco designs created by layering card.  A basic print of the door was made on 225 gsm card and then glued to a core of 1mm card.  A second layer was added by cutting another print into pieces and then gluing all the thin parts of the design to the matching sections of the door, finally another layer was added to the curved door handle for additional depth.  Hopefully when it is painted up the texturing will show up better it does in the comparison photo.

[Image: 21700272340_a23f3f3254_z.jpg]

Coming soonish: Even more Art Deco Embellishments 
Have I mentioned lately how much I love the aesthetics of your designs? Really top-notch stuff.
[+] 1 user Likes Munin's post