Romany-mini
I think I'm going to jump in on this one. I need to get back into building and hopefully this deadline will help me stay accountable.  My thought is to build a fortune teller wagon that will incorporate a crystal ball some how. I'm going to build some kind of miniature scene inside of the ball to look like it's being conjured... not sure what yet, but I figure that's going to be one of the last pieces so I have time to think about it. I'm also thinking that I'd like one side of the wagon to fold out to act as the retail-type counter where the fortunes would be told, but I'm not sure how practical that actually is... much pondering to do.

[Image: GW443H291]

Off to make a game plan!
Nice! I look forward to seeing your ideas turn into reality!
(07-06-2015, 09:48 AM)MellyMonkey Wrote:  I'm also thinking that I'd like one side of the wagon to fold out to act as the retail-type counter where the fortunes would be told, but I'm not sure how practical that actually is..

Off to make a game plan!

I am thinking folding down the back end might work for that. Wheels in the way using the sides.

(07-06-2015, 05:08 PM)pendrake Wrote: I am thinking folding down the back end might work for that. Wheels in the way using the sides.

I would only make the top half come down... the hypothetical customers would need stairs & a platform to reach it though, which is what is giving me pause... but I do like the quickly-close-up-and-go feel that it would bring.
(07-07-2015, 05:45 PM)MellyMonkey Wrote:
(07-06-2015, 05:08 PM)pendrake Wrote: I am thinking folding down the back end might work for that. Wheels in the way using the sides.

I would only make the top half come down... the hypothetical customers would need stairs & a platform to reach it though, which is what is giving me pause... but I do like the quickly-close-up-and-go feel that it would bring.

That is what I was picturing also. Rather like a contemporary food truck. Except wagon wheels are bigger than modern tires. Hence the 'wheels in the way' comment.

Suppose the front set of wheels were a much smaller diameter and only part of the side folded down? The back part next to the bigger wheel does not fold down.

Wheels like so:
[Image: Romany-rose_small1.jpg]

I don't really see much sense in having the side fold down from a practical standpoint.
These wagons are basically little buildings, so why not just step into the shop? I certainly don't want my future told out in the open; the repercussions could be disastrous.

Although it may look cool, so that could be reason enough.
(07-09-2015, 03:43 PM)Caleb Wrote: These wagons are basically little buildings, so why not just step into the shop?

Caleb, they are a house on wheels also. Maybe the occupants don't want the customer tromping through the living room?

Melly, how about putting a permanent window on the side?  With a little dormer over it... Maybe there are shutters that let it expand into a sort of hanging box window. Add a table surface for tarot card based fortune reading.

PD- I don't think we're envisioning the same thing. If I only have the top half golf down (let's say hinging from the border underneath the window in the original reference photo and suspended to be parallel to the ground), it wouldn't touch the larger wheel.

Caleb raises an interesting point though. My main motive was to not shoe horn into the comp criteria. I figured I should have my mini miniatures out in the open. I have my pieces already cut to have it come out as described, but it'seems not too late to change it. Maybe I can rig up curtains around it or I'll just make a separate tent to sit next to the wagon.

So, I started by cutting all of the edges out of balsa wood sheets.
 [Image: 20150709_061933.jpg]
(Looking at it now, I do think that panel that folds down is a bit wide. I think I'll be redoing that bit anyways.)

I glued on some bits of plastic packaging to the backside of the windows before I started assembly.
[Image: 20150709_062433.jpg]
I started glueing the pieces together with some small square rods to help support the joints and give more surface area contact.
[Image: 20150709_062925.jpg]

[Image: 20150711_122939.jpg]
(07-12-2015, 11:56 AM)MellyMonkey Wrote: PD- I don'the think we're envisioning the same thing. If I only have the top half golf down (let's say hinging from the border underneath the window in the original reference photo and suspended to be parallel to the ground), it wouldn't touch the larger wheel.

Probably not picturing it the same. (TBH  I have pictured it several ways.) It will be interesting to see what you come up with.

I may not have the scale estimated correct in my head. Folding down as you describe, where does the resulting table surface strike a grown man (customer) who is standing on the ground next to the wagon?
  • Eyes
  • Chin
  • Clavicles
  • Mid-chest
  • ??
Maybe Madame Le Yeknomyllem does not sit in the wagon peering down? or maybe the height difference is not as much as I think. Figures on the usual gaming bases will get a nice boost also --- that will help.

(07-07-2015, 05:45 PM)MellyMonkey Wrote:

^^That's why I said they would need stairs ^^