General Entry comment thread
Congratulations to both contestants for finishing their entries. Both are unique and visually interesting.

Catdancer: I am a big fan of the varied vegetation. I like when a piece incorporates a lot of different plant types and colors. Your entry has a very whimsical feel to it. The leprechaun is very well painted, as well. I think it is a piece best viewed from a distance where the colors can kind of blend together. Up close it seems a little riotous and chaotic, but then again perhaps that is the way a whimsical leprechaun showpiece should look. As a diorama, though, I wonder if the way the objects are placed doesn't give a good focus. For instance, either the monster, or the leprechaun and his pot seem like they should be centered, as it is my first attention is drawn to the purple flower. Only a minor criticism, though, it would definitely be a conversation starter in any room.

Vampyrevenom: I love the shape of the stump and roots. It looks amazing. Also it seems like it will be a very playable game piece. I know, like you said in the WIP thread, a lot of the imperfections are hard to see with the naked eye, but I think large pieces like this often benefit from some thinned washes during painting to fill the cracks in, at least to blend the color a bit. That said, the colors look good and I don't think I would have been patient enough to make the rings look that good. I agree with Munin in general about the paint color under the static grass, although it does depend what you are going for. I'll often put down a brown paint with fine greenish/brown flock directly on top of it and then the static grass. If you're putting the static grass directly on the paint and want a "green grass" feel, then a green would probably work better. On the other hand, if you're going for a more boggy feel, then the brown might be appropriate. It feels a little odd on the eyes if you're expecting a green field type look, but a muddy, boggy area would have a lot more brown as a base color under the vegetation.

Great job, both of you, it was fun to see the final entries!

Messages In This Thread
General Entry comment thread - havre - 04-22-2015, 05:49 AM
RE: General Entry comment thread - Munin - 04-22-2015, 02:01 PM
RE: General Entry comment thread - reid - 04-27-2015, 06:56 PM