TerraGenesis Forums

Full Version: Blocky's Final Entry - Itsy bitsy furniture
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sorry guys, I've been down with a double whammy of flu and blowing out my spine in the gym.

Here's my final entry for this comp (if we are still doing it that is).

I recreated some hero quest furniture from the old board game. You can see the templates I used in my WIP thread here.

And here are the 5 photos I have chosen to show off:

[Image: 20170722_101724.jpg]

[Image: 20170722_101750.jpg]

[Image: 20170722_101757.jpg]

[Image: 20170722_101827.jpg]

[Image: 20170722_101531.jpg]

The templates I used were designed for papercraft (ie: you cut the template out and fold it into shape)... so I had to dismantle each bit of the template and trace it out onto balsa wood. In a stroke of luck, the balsa wood added extra size to the finished construction which works better with the amount of scale creep in GW's minis (the heroquest minis are tiny in comparison to the modern stuff). The heights of shelves fit quite well with the bigger slottabases which bump up the height of newer minis.

Construction: Most it was simple, just pin and glue the component parts together.

Shelves: These went together easily, the book were more of an issue. THere is probably an easier way to do it, but I cut out each individual book and then started gluing them together to make the different sized rows. Doing them individually did help with making the sizes of the books irregular which I find pleasing. It's hard to see, but I went to the trouble of texturing the balsa wood further to look like wood grain - I can probably make it even more pronounced next time.

Desk: I'm really happy with this one. The legs have some carving done to the feet to make it a bit more ornate and I cut tiny pieces of piping to make the brass drawer handles. I especially like the quill pen which I cut from an actual feather. I was intially going to make the drawers seperate so they could be pulled out but time was a factor and I went with simple.

Fireplace: This was a pain. I built it out of balsa and I was going to coat it with modelling clayand carve out individual bricks... but due to time restraintss, I went with a bit of textured plasticard and I had just enough toglue it over the top. I filled the gaps with modelling clay and then painted and drybrushed. I will extend the chimney at some point but what you see is straight off the template.

Weapons Rack: I didn't have an actual template for this bit but I always liked the original so thought I would recreate it.

Chest: 2 balsa wood ends with cardboard wrapped around.

Table: Simple but fiddly. The legs are made from bits of matchsticks and frankly it was a pain in the ***** to make each set of legs indentical. THe iron banding is a strip of cardboard painted gun metal silver.

Cheers everyone. Comments and criticisms are appreciated.
Nicely done, and you made the right call on the books. Sure they were more work, but they 'make' the bookshelves. I have always shied away from balsa, because it crushes when you cross-cut it, and the end grain is out of scale, but overall you managed to avoid that. (Just the one side of the desk, and you can always say it was termite damage. Big Grin ) Otherwise, a total success.

Don
(08-09-2017, 09:47 AM)HobbyDr Wrote: [ -> ]Nicely done, and you made the right call on the books. Sure they were more work, but they 'make' the bookshelves. I have always shied away from balsa, because it crushes when you cross-cut it, and the end grain is out of scale, but overall you managed to avoid that. (Just the one side of the desk, and you can always say it was termite damage. Big Grin ) Otherwise, a total success.

Don

Thanks Don,

That desk came up badly in that photo and I know what you mean about the crushing. I had a better shot of the desk but that was the only one that showed off the quill pen.

I've done a lot of stuff with balsa and I've found the key to cutting it without crushing is using many many many shallow slices with a sharp blade... takes a lot of time though.

The books were a pain. each one was painted separately and I even went to the trouble of painting a cream coloured paint where the pages would be visible thinking that you would see the tops of the books when they were on the shelves... turns out they fit snuggly and you can't really see it except for the books lying down.
Hahaha, I love the weapons rack! On the whole, these are very well done.