Goto page 1, 2  Next
[subscribe]
Forums -> Announcements

New forum at http://www.terragenesis.uk

Andy and I, with some help from a few guinea pig members, have been setting up the new forum area for TG. I think we all agree that it's not perfect yet, but there are some wrinkles that can only be ironed out from regular use from everybody. Feel free to go to www.TerraGenesis.uk to look around and get a feel for the new setup. User accounts will not be transferred from this site to the new one, so you will have to register there in order to post anything. Once registered, you can start posting threads or replying to ones that are there; everything is active and ready to go. We are open to suggestions if you have any ideas on how to improve what is there so far (keeping in mind it is not and will never be an exact replica of what we have here, i.e. hosting images off-site Razz). Both versions of TG will be available until we are certain everything is running smoothly at the new site, but I encourage you to post any new projects at the .uk site starting today.

So, in short: the party has moved to www.TerraGenesis.uk Dancing You should totally go!

Last one in the pool is an anemic squig!!

I tried to register on the new site with the user name, email address, and password that I used to login here. It doesn't work for me. Tried five times and gave up. Any suggestions?

Sixth time was the charm and registration went through. No verification email sent yet. Still waiting.

MUMSY said:

I tried to register on the new site with the user name, email address, and password that I used to login here. It doesn't work for me. Tried five times and gave up. Any suggestions?

I'm trying to register as well and the generic captcha down to the bottom is giving me a hell of a time.

... I don't wanna be the last one in the bloody pool!

MUMSY said:

Sixth time was the charm and registration went through. No verification email sent yet. Still waiting.

And you probably won't seem one. It looks like you're registering with a Hotmail account. Hotmail changed their screening process a couple of years ago so it filters emails generated from the forum before it reaches your email, even before going to a spam folder. The thing is you probably registered here with that account before they made that change. I know I did and then switched my user contact to a Gmail account when Andy brought it to our attention to continue receiving PMs & such.

Andy is working on a way that could fix this issue, but it's possible that Hotmail has even more blockades than the ones he's working on. It would probably be best to register using a different account for now -- even if you just have that account forward the emails to your Hotmail.

I somehow managed to get registered as a member, but I haven't been able to log in yet.

I am r-- only.

Tob said:

I somehow managed to get registered as a member, but I haven't been able to log in yet.

I am r-- only.

Yes... has Andy talked to you about this? You're setup is apparently out of date. So far, you're the only one with this issue. As more people try signing up, we may have more data to use to help figure out the issues are but until then I'm not sure there's much he can do about that right now. Confused

I was getting email notices from TG to my hotmail account right up to last week. I have a Gmail account but rarely use it. Making a new account with it for TG seems a bother right now. Maybe someday.

Alas things are always changing with these computery thingies.

A few years ago when I first signed up with gmail my spam folder received HUNDREDS of new entries PER DAY; these days it's down to a couple of dozen as day. Did the spammers all hang up their hats and find more useful ways to spend their time? No, they didn't, in fact it's gotten worse... however gmail started bouncing it rather than putting it in a spam folder.

The same has happened with other email service providers, and although it looks nice to have a relatively empty spam folder, the down side is that you can't now route out that missing email... because they bounced it back to the sender.

At the same time, various technologies have come into play to allow a recipient server to check where an email came from. I say "technologies", plural, because there couldn't be just one could there; oh no: that'd be way to *@$&^#! simple. And if you don't have them all in place: well then stuff can and will go missing.

This is something I'm working on. I've been spending an hour or two on it most mornings for about a month now. I will get to the bottom of it, piece by piece, eventually... and then the goalposts will move.

Alas some of you are going to have problems with the new forum software... while others will find that problems you had with the old forum are no longer an issue.

I'm currently running a seven year old Mac and there are a number of things I can no longer do. For example: I can no longer use Webmin's file manager because it needs a newer Java plugin than the one I have. I can't upgrade that without upgrading the OS and I can't do that on this aged hardware. For now I can live without the file manager... but I reckon I'm only a year or two, if I'm lucky, away from finding that something I NEED stops working and I have to upgrade.

Point is, to those of you who are struggling: I feel your pain. But there's no real solution to this. If we never upgraded the TG software then TG would eventually become inaccessible to members running new software and hardware. Upgrade and we cause problems for members running old systems. There is no solution that can satisfy everybody, so ultimately it becomes a personal decision for each of us about when to upgrade the systems for which we are responsibe, a compromise between what we can and can't afford to do without.

Like I say: I feel your pain; it affects me too.

Tob said:

Last one in the pool is an anemic squig!!

Managed to login and post something: http://www.terragenesis.uk/showthread.php?tid=25

I am switching avatars on the new site. Will be using this:

http://forum.reapermini.com/uploads/profile/photo-7586.jpg

...which I have used on Reaper's forums for awhile.

Has loading new images to this site been disabled?

Andy, Melly,

you guys should create a banner that announces and links to the new forum and put it in the rotation of banner ads here for how ever long this place continues to run in parallel with the new site.

Sad I will miss this place Sad

Melly.Monkey said:

Yes... has Andy talked to you about this? You're setup is apparently out of date.

I'll say! I'm as out of date as P. dactylifera in December. However, the current budget isn't structured properly to provide a new computer, so the New TerraGenesis is going to have to suffer the absence of my usual rambling incoherence, unflagging scale policing, and heated gesso championing.

As soon as a new computer falls in my lap, rest assured my first action will be the resumption of my TG membership. In the meantime, I'll be lurking around here and my other dinosaur holes [Know how to telnet?] poking at the bones of our disposable silicon past.

Tob said:

Melly.Monkey said:

Yes... has Andy talked to you about this? You're setup is apparently out of date.

I'll say! I'm as out of date as P. dactylifera in December. However, the current budget isn't structured properly to provide a new computer, so the New TerraGenesis is going to have to suffer the absence of my usual rambling incoherence, unflagging scale policing, and heated gesso championing.

As soon as a new computer falls in my lap, rest assured my first action will be the resumption of my TG membership. In the meantime, I'll be lurking around here and my other dinosaur holes [Know how to telnet?] poking at the bones of our disposable silicon past.

I spotted a Tob on the Members list over there. ???

Tob said:

I am r-- only.

Did you get the registration email? And click on the link, etc. ?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
29 results in total.

Forums -> Announcements